Expired Listing Resource
Welcome > Resources > ...Expired Listing Resource
Sometimes Even the BEST Properties Don't Sell!
I can understand your frustration! You thought your property would sell in just a matter of weeks and instead you're still stuck cleaning all of the time and wondering where you've gone wrong. Don't be discouraged! The reason your real estate isn't selling may have nothing to do with the property itself. In reality, it may be one of the more desireable homes on the market. There are all sorts of factors that go into the timely selling of real estate--when you're educated on all of those factors and completely understand what's going on around you, it's much less stressful.
18 MISTAKES SELLERS MAKE WHEN PUTTING THEIR HOMES ON THE MARKET AND HOW TO AVOID THEM
1) Pricing home too high - Have a professional determine comparable sales.
2) Small repairs bring big profits and fast sales - Have a professional give you low-cost solutions to minor repairs that will yield big profits.
3) Not considering other financing terms (besides cash) - Have a professional give you options that may be better than cash for you.
4) Market timing - Have a professional determine if the market cycle is poised to net you the most money. At the very least, ask to be shown how to make profits in a down market.
5) Providing easy access for showings - There are many ways to show a home. Appointment only is the most restrictive: lock boxes are the least restrictive - have a professional help you determine which is best for your lifestyle.
6) Staging your property correctly - Can you put items in storage? Create more light or music? We can help you!
7) Choosing the right Realtor - Your Realtor, unfortunately, can't tell you how to solve this but you can call me for a list of probing interview questions to ask each one.
8) Believing that selling a property is seasonal - Don't base selling decisions on the season. Property is always selling. In fact, in the traditional "off times" there is less inventory and, therefore, more activity on the remaining properties for sale!
9) Pricing home too low - One reason to hire our team is to make sure that no money is left on the table.
10) Not using current marketing technology - make sure your agent is on the "Information Highway" with 800 interactive voice recognition systems, websites, search engine technology, and the latest in buyer communications.
11) Re-evaluating the marketing plan every 14 days - The market, you, and your real estate require intuitive changes to the market and buyers on a regular basis and that is why we schedule a meeting with our clients every 10 working days.
12) Believing that the agent is not doing the job - When there aren't any offers did you know that 80% of your buyer activity comes from signs and the MLS? Even the most mediocre agent does that! If you have a lack of showings, look at the price.
13) Ignoring first impressions from the buyer - Sales have been hampered by unkept lawns, cluttered closets, unpanited front doors, hard-to-work locks, dead light bulbs, bad colors, stains, unlit areas, and bad smells. Spend time on the little things, double up on your landscaper, keep things cleaner than usual, and "marshal" the pets.
14) Not giving the sales effort enough time - You should never give too little time to something that is inherently a long process. Estimate the time you have to sell and then add some time so that you are never put in the position of having to do something based on deadlines. We can help you with the average time on market in your area and price range.
15) Dealing with unqualified or unsavory characters - One of the best reasons to hire a real estate professional is that they have the ability to pre-qualify a prospect financially, before valuable negotiating time is lost. More importantly, they have the tools to discover if a prospect's motivation to see your home may be other than for purchasing it.
16) Believing that you are powerless to make a difference - the top agents in the industry report that sellers themselves are responsible for 1 out of 10 sales! You can network with your business and personal friends, hand out flyers to your personnel department, and keep the house "ready to move into". Your professional real estate agent should be ready to hand out all sorts of easy assignments to make the "team effort" successful.
17) Testing the market - Never put your home on the market unless you really want to sell! Get ready for a professional sales push if you list with a great agent. If your plan harbors some indecision, be prepared for frustration because success is our team's objective.
18) Not setting up expectations with your agent - Your agent needs to guarantee how fast return phone calls are made, how many websites your home will be on, number of showings, and a myriad of other goals - all in writing!
Let's meet & meet your goals!
© Homes Media Solutions™, a division of Dominion Enterprises and/or its clients.
All rights reserved. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.